The biggest dilemma that first-time app developer comes across is which platform is right for them and what should they should first build on whether Android or iOS. To most app builders it is often advised that they must first build an app on one platform, gather feedback regarding it and then do the improvisations on that platform before moving on to another.
Enhance your knowledge
The whole journey starts from the initial stages of mobile app development thus you must have a good understanding of everything like knowing well that apps are going to run differently on different app operating systems. As you gear up with the development of your app, you must think about these points as they will help you ease out the things for you.
- Coordinate with the developers: It’s necessary to find out which platform is renowned amongst your mobile development partner prior to creating the app and also find out which app they are most at ease with. When you start with the platform that your partner is comfortable with then this will help you in making a better and organized app.
- Keep in mind the ROI: It’s always advised to consider the ROI that you’re looking for on your app as you must know that iOS users are willing to pay much more than Android users.
- Target audience: While starting off, you must begin with a platform that has a higher user engagement as that will help in reaching out to more and more customer in a easier and rapid manner.
Identify the issues:
Even though everyone loves designing and developing apps for Android and iOS, still they must not forget the fact that both of these platforms are not completely perfect. Even though Google and Apple have made significant efforts in order to make things as developer and user friendly as they can, still there are certain aspects where they are still lagging. Here we are bringing for you the pros and cons of these 2 major platforms as they will help you in deciding which platform is best for you in order to build your first mobile app.
Android Pros –
- In case you are keen on building for Android first, then you will be glad to know that there are umpteen advantages. As it is based on a open source software, hence it lowers entry barriers for cash-strapped developers, enabling them to use existing plugins and frameworks. This leads to innovative creations in a shorter span of time.
- Android successfully enjoys world-wide user base owing to its open source licensing and boasts of an 85 percent market share.
- Google Play and Kindle Store have easy restrictions on the apps which are bringing submitted, this way developers can use new technology in the building of an app. This boasts easier and rapid development.
Android Cons –
- Just as it has its advantages, Android has few drawbacks as well as its open licensing is not that good and leads to fragmentation especially when the various devices and operating systems are considered. This way, whenever an app is built on Android, it needs to be tested on different devices so that the developer is cent percent certain that the various versions do not come across dependency issues later on.
- As an app is built on Android, a developer needs to build for several devices from different manufacturers. This is why QA part becomes extremely difficult for the developers and they have tough time getting the UX/UI right.
iOS Pros –
- There are several unique advantages iOS market boasts of and it’s specifically popular in the United States, thus if your focus is on targeting the American customers, then iOS development is best for you.
- You must not forget the fact that there are more than 200 million iPhone users around the world which signifies the popularity of the platform and the huge user engagement opportunity it offers to the developer.
- If you wish to focus on in-app purchases that iOS platform is best for you as statistics say that the app on iOS generate 400 percent more revenue than Android ones.
- The stability is another exciting feature that iOS offers, which is why iOS developers don’t have to mull over the fragmentation and can develop the apps in a peaceful manner, as well as can easily build the UI/UX.
iOS Cons –
Lest you are a beginner, then you must know that iOS users expect top-notch apps and the apps you create for them to use should be best in both its look as well as it feel. Despite the availability of certain frameworks, your development cost is expected to shoot up in case an app is licensed proprietorially.
Conclusion: The better understanding of the above points will help you in making the right decision and develop apps that can run in an optimized manner, thus boasting user engagement.