Managing a hospital is no mean feat. After all, running any hospital consists of a plethora of tasks like storing tonnes of information and a lot of decision-making is involved. It is not like olden times anymore where just an entry in the registers and cutting the patients’ slip was sufficient. The modern world functions a lot differently. The doctors are not dealing with just one or two patients, as the number has increased to a manifold with new diseases and illnesses knocking the doors. At the same time, people of today prefer a proper system with perfection and it gets a lot to be managed by a single person. Today a hospital is responsible to manage patient records, work out doctor’s schedules, keep track of the inventory, maintain bills, work with the insurance providers, and the list of chores is endless.
So it is clear that this job can’t be fulfilled by one single person and only by having an efficient Hospital Management System it will be possible to manage a lot of tasks and functions, which otherwise would have been a tough task to be managed by the hospital administration. Having a hospital management system is vital so that everything systematically takes place. It is what every hospital needs right now to meet the needs of every hospital and then there are other factors involved such as it is reliable, efficient and cost-effective, and along with that it makes the whole system self-sufficient.
What is the Hospital Management System?
HMS is a web-based software system helps to manage various complicated processes & workflows inherent to the regular working of a hospital. This system provides interfaces for various stakeholders of a medical facility to capture, manage, access, & report information about each aspect of hospital functioning. An HMS consists of a set of services helping in the creation of a unified work system of all the medical departments – beginning from therapeutic to dental. The clinic software needs to meet the requirements of the medical facility, on the whole, combining the corporate work of all the medical specialists.
For a comprehensive Hospital Management System (HMS), it must consist of provisions to document & manage these following aspects of a hospital, like: Doctors, Patients, Billing, Insurance, Inventory, HR, Reports, Supports Staff, Diagnostics/Radiology, Pharmacy, etc.
Now to develop the best clinic software, the hospital software development firms must consider interests of all of the potential users, who can be divided into three groups:
• Hospital Staff
• Hospital authorities
Below are the services that can be automated for each user group and let’s find how to create a full-fledged Hospital Management Software:
Hospital Services Automation
Today people prefer comfort and quality services in the medical facilities, and that is where the role of hospital patient management software proves helpful as it offers just the kind of quality service as required.
To create a good HMS, one can:
• Set up automatic processing of the incoming calls from the clients. The current information regarding visiting hours can be displayed on a clinic site and this enables the patients to choose a time convenient to them and book an online appointment.
• Send medical tests & examinations’ results to patients via email.
• Automate processes of filling out the medical records and speed up the patient registration process.
• Send SMS messages/voice reminders to the patients regarding appointment time.
With the help of an HMS, doctors can devote more time to the patients instead of documentation. In an HMS:
• All of the required information regarding patients is collected in one place. The doctor can see patients’ disease history and obtain the results of the test quickly. The more information with the doctor, the more accurately the doctor will be able to diagnose and prescribe the required treatment.
• The HMS creates a database of the document templates which will help doctors & nurses give a medical protocol to patients, add details to the patient card. This information is useful for both doctors and administration. Also, an HMS is useful to shorten the appointment durations without quality compromise, and this will surely increase the clinic’s revenue.
• Doctors can check their schedules at any given time and make necessary changes.
The hospital authorities need to ensure the profitability of the medical facility, and with an HMS, they can:
• Evaluate campaigns’ effectiveness to attract visitors.
• Discover which of the medical directions generates revenue and which ones need to be modified or closed.
• Optimize well the peak hours of hospitals and reduce the medical equipment downtime.
• Analyze the work of doctors and evaluate how many hours did each of the medical professional work.
An efficient hospital management software (HMS) for the hospital combines of two main components, i.e. Accounting & Control. Here let’s consider their automation possibilities in detail.
Hospital Accounting System
This mainly consists of three units, they are:
• Reports: With the use of reports, it gets easier to analyze the data for any given period and easily generate any reports for authorized users.
• Catalogs: A huge amount of data is needed to set up hospital administration.
• Modules: These modules are mainly useful in daily clinic work. For instance, doctors work with the patient’s electronic health record (EHR) and it describes all of the necessary data. Receptionists work in the clinic management module where the payment method is determined and the clinical laboratory works in a system module, where the staff records all the tests and examination results of patients. Pharmacy staff works in the hospital management module and this allows them to sell the drugs, etc.
With HMS, it is easier to fill in the patient’s care on the system and get it printed. For instance, a patient’s consultation form can be printed, and it will consist of the complaints, diagnosis, disease description, current status, treatment plan. While creating an HMS, it is useful that it comprises the function of defining first-time patients. It is useful if all the provided services can be chosen at once and that the visitors’ payment amount is calculated automatically in the program while making the appointment. It can help that payment amount is known already when the patient applies for certain services at reception and the system should automatically track patients’ debts/pre-payments.
The system can also have the function to mark patients who have already paid for the services or the ones who are required to pay. At the request of the patient, the system must print the statements, including provided service lists of payment amounts for the required period. Registration allows seeing the number of patients who would visit each of the doctors in the hospital facility.
The system must also enable the doctor to select diagnosis as per ICD (International Classification of Diseases). As the hospital system maintains a management system of the treatment protocols, it can then advise on the procedure of examining and treating a patient. The healthcare facility must be able to keep its records and form plans as per international standards.
HMS must keep the results of the laboratory research in the electronic form. The accounting module of HMS creates a unified system for the personnel by automation of operations from laboratory reception. The system even keeps all the records of each doctor and it makes payrolls, depending on several factors, consisting of several appointments, the number of referrals to the other clinic specialists, revenue, etc.
The Hospital Inventory Management System can control the flow of material and the automatic calculation of goods can be built into a clinic management app. This will make it possible to automatically write off the required materials during processes. Financial accounting automation helps in allocating the funding easily & accurately for all of the hospital departments. It is then possible to monitor these processes by nurses or the rest of authorized users.
Hospital Monitoring System
Hospital Staff Management software enables to compare plans of medical examinations & treatments that are prescribed by the doctors with the plan in treatment protocols. With the clinic management system, it gets easier to inform doctors regarding medication intake frequency & contraindications.
Then the Hospital scheduling software can divide the timeline into necessary periods for each of the doctors, for instance, an average appointment duration may vary from thirty minutes to one hour depending on the doctor. Here, this monitoring program can be customized easily for any of the employees. It gets quite convenient if every doctor can create his templates for filling patient cards.
The system must enable the patients to easily book appointments for any given day. The appointment can be given by the system by considering the availability of several rooms or medical equipment. If an appointment is canceled by the patient, it should be marked and reason should be specified.
A monitoring program must have reminder functionality for patients to remind them about their scheduled appointments. This also helps in controlling patients’ health by keeping a check on it. The system must be able to immediately print detailed visitation form as and when needed.
In HMS it is essential to monitor the drug expiration date in stock. The control module is also required, as it helps in planning medicines & product delivery. The mechanisms to the firm any combined financial statements by the departments, services or employees must also be provided.
What Does Hospital Management Software Should Have?
Here we have mentioned the basic requirements for an HMS system, which developers must consider:
• Any clinic employee needs to be able to handle the clinic management system.
• The user interface should be convenient-to-use and informative.
• The system needs to have certain role-based access for each of the employees as per designation & responsibilities. It is vital on the part of hospital authorities to be able to edit access employees’ role & passwords. This way all of the confidential information can be controlled.
• An HMS system should provide necessary, relevant and accurate information at any time.
• In the case of customers’ details, the system must provide an extreme level of security & data protection.
• The system should have the possibility to enhance or extend clinic automation.
How a Healthcare Facility Can Benefit From a Hospital Management System?
There are tremendous benefits of an efficient Hospital Management System and here we have mentioned a few of them:
• Tracks finances: By having a good hospital management system in the system you can benefit greatly in aspects of the finances. These systems are great at tracking revenues, outflows, debts, and receivables. An HMS generates financial reports that give hospital admiration a very clear picture of the facility’s financial gains, and revenues.
• Data Security: With HMS it becomes impossible for the unauthorized person to access private and sensitive information, mainly concerning the patient records. This way the threat of data theft is considerably reduced.
• Eradicates Errors: Earlier the hospital management was prone to a lot of human errors, however, as now the processes have been automated with an HMS there is not much room left for the errors in any hospital workflows.
• Easy Diagnosis & Treatment: With useful reports & dashboards provided by HMS, it gets easier for the doctors and other involved personnel to have quick and easy access to the patient reports, records and test results, and this increases all-around clinical competency.
• Increased Patient Satisfaction: With HMS, the time taken for the processes & procedures is highly reduced at each stage of the patient interaction, like registration, discharge, and billing, and this making leads to increased satisfaction among the patients.
• Better Hospital Quality Ratings: Implementing an HMS immensely enhances the quality of a hospital or a healthcare facility. This leads to improved standing with the insurance firms & quality circles.
• Paperless Operations: Today with the advent of HMS, there is an increased usage of electronic records over the physical files. In fact, with further advances, there might be a day when the hospitals would become paperless in the hospital management systems.
• Efficient running of Hospital: By setting up a Hospital Management System for your healthcare facility, a great amount of time & effort can be saved. With all of this, the smooth and efficient functioning of the hospital is possible.
How a Hospital Management System (HMS) is Beneficial For the Patients?
An HMS is highly beneficial for the patients in ways like:
• Booking Online Appointments: Now the patients won’t require waiting in line for hours to book the appointment with their doctors as now they can do it simply with just a tap on the screen.
• 24/7 Support: Now the patients can solve their confusions efficiently on the support system and this way they won’t have to visit the hospital time and again.
• Get updates: HMS updates users regarding the appointments by sending alerts & notifications before the appointments.
• Health Updates: HMS systems send health updates for improvements in patients’ treatment.
So, these are the valuable hospital management services that an HMS system offers and without thinking any further, you should get this system integrated into your hospital facility. Simply do your research, get in touch with a good Hospital Management System Development company and get started.
Conclusion: It is important that the Hospital Management System efficient meets patients’ requirements and enhances employees’ productivity altogether. With the help of a high-quality system, the medical paperwork is greatly reduced, quality & information content of the medical documents is improved. The HMS also reduces the influence of the human factor and process automation minimized the staff forgetfulness & inattention while registering patients and providing consulting services.
In case, you are looking to get a Hospital Management System developed for your healthcare facility, then get in touch with a renowned development agency to get desired results.